Thursday, September 25, 2014

Having Her by Jackie Ashenden

Having Her
By Jackie Ashenden
Rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Review:
Ok, so I started this book ages ago. I love Jackie Ashenden's writing. Her style is awesome and when you need angst, this is the place to be. But...I over angsted myself right before I started this book. I got about half way through, saw a certain plot twist, and nearly threw my kindle against the wall. I had to take a break. But I knew I'd finish it eventually so I just put it aside for a while.

And it's true. I got back in the mood and I picked it right back up. There were tears and feelings and so much caring and angst. I liked the story a lot, even if you need the right mood for angst.

It's so rare to have a book that allow the heroine to dress however she likes, even if it's out of the norm, without trying to change her. Vin doesn't LIKE her clothes and makeup, but he's completely attracted to her even with all of it. He never asks her to change it even when he thinks it's weird.

The two of them were into BSDM a little bit, but it wasn't a “this is the only way we do it”, it was just “this is fun”. In some cases, it was letting each character hide behind a facade, but I never felt like it went into unhealthy territory.

Both characters grew and changed, even if it was a quick turn around. They tugged on my heartstrings and I really wanted them to work out. I'm still of the rational mind that “changing your attitude” or “true love” will not magically solve all your emotional issues, but I enjoy having an angsty book where everything is perfect in the end.

**This review is archived on my blog: The Theory of Lieto Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment